West Bengal is blessed with magnificent destinations encircling its natural abode that signify the perfect stop for travel enthusiasts. Being a resident of Kolkata, the constant humdrum of the cityscapes tend to get on my nerves sometimes, and the weekend getaways neighbouring the tourist spots in West Bengal are something that multifold my living experience in this State.
To associate with my experience in these exquisite weekend getaways, I am sharing my top 10 favourite weekend destinations in West Bengal. Read on to find the comprehensive list of thrilling weekend getaways here.
Top 10 Tourist Spots in West Bengal
Check out the list below:
1. Sunderbans: The pride of Bengal
Popular as the thickest Mangrove forest in the World, Sunderbans is no less than the pride of Bengal. Furthermore, the biggest delta on Earth certainly seems to be a fabulous choice when it comes to a weekend travel destination in West Bengal.
The dwelling of the Royal Bengal Tiger, these mangroves comprise fun and adventure. However, you need to be careful about the wildlife at night. Here’s my collection from a trip to Sunderbans during March 2017.
- Best time to visit: October to March
- Distance from Kolkata: 109 km
- Things to do: Experience true wildlife and spend your day in a launch accompanying the Matla River.
2. Shantiniketan: The land of art and culture
If aesthetics and culture give you a high, Shantiniketan is your perfect abode for weekend voyages away from the bustling city life.
This insignificant hamlet of the village was introduced in 1862. Since then, it has been sustained by the Bengali legend Rabindranath Tagore to ultimately turn it into one of the most culturally advanced travel getaways in the region.
As I went there during December 2017, I was blessed to witness the biggest fair of Bengal “Poush Mela”.
The ideal time to visit: July- March
Distance from Kolkata: 160 km
Things to do: Visit art galleries, the Tagore Museum, Kopai river bank, Khoai, Shonajhuri Haat, local market.
3. Tajpur: One of the best tourist spots in West Bengal
Peace and serenity are what describe Tajpur the best. This one of the tranquil beaches along the Digha route that has gained anonymity from tourism and commercialization for quite a few years now.
The recent entry of this one-stop weekend destination into the holiday list prides in having sustained its elegance and calmness.
- Best time to visit: September- March
- Distance from Kolkata: 170 km
- Things to do: Paragliding, water sports, and visiting adjacent beaches like Shankarpur, Mandarmani, and Junput.
4. Mandarmani: Ideal spot of honeymooners
Emerging as a unique and popular destination for travel enthusiasts near Kolkata, Mandarmani signifies the area well-known for its spectacular views and pristine beaches.
Furthermore, the unspoiled and untamed charm of the area is its principal highlight. Moreover, it is the little ponds and paddy fields along the route that made my trip to Mandarmani truly remarkable.
- Best time to visit: July- March
- Distance from Kolkata: 170 km
- Things to do: Watersports, paragliding, and strolling along the shores to Mohona ( confluence of river and the sea )
5. Dooars: Nature’s Cradle
This weekend getaway in West Bengal tourism signifies the location that promises tranquillity and harmony.
Dooars, a few kilometres from New Jalpaiguri, is majestic and breathtaking as the cold air engulfs you when you explore the hidden alleys and mystic mountains. Furthermore, the place has some unique sights to boast of further.
- Best time to visit: September – March
- Distance from Kolkata: 625 km
- Things to do: Experience the serene weather, rich greenery, vintage resort life, calm flowing rivers, and mystic mountains lined up by forests.
6. Talsari: The land of palm trees
Snuggled on the frontier of West Bengal and Odisha, Talsari, or Talsharee happens to be the place for travel enthusiasts.
Tourists wishing to flee from the cacophony of noisy city life can find this place ideal. Also, a scenic panorama for sore eyes, Talsari has fresh air and pristine shores to boast of.
Best time to visit: July- March
Distance from Kolkata: 191 km
Things to do: Take a stroll along with the convergence of Talsari and Udaipur beach. Furthermore, take a trip to the Chandaneshwar temple.
7. Digha: Bengali’s favorite tourist spots in West Bengal
Amongst the most sought-after shores of West Bengal, Digha happens to be a place to visit for witnessing some thrilling activity over the weekend. Digha is popular as it boasts of a quiet and tranquil environment.
When it comes to experiencing the liveliness of the crowds, the evening market in Digha is certain to reveal the humdrum.
This comfortable weekend destination in West Bengal tourism happens to be one of my favorite weekend getaways. Once, twice, thrice and I don’t know how many times I have been to Digha.
- Best time to visit: September to March
- Distance from Kolkata: 195 km.
- Things to do: Rejuvenating by the seaside, savoring the seafood, and shopping handicrafts for the home decor lover in you.
8. Jaldapara: The abode of Elephants and Rhinos
A national park embracing its visitors to the best views of rarest creatures of India signifies Jaldapara National Park. Snuggled along the foothills of Eastern Himalayas, Jaldapara lends a magical vibe like no other tourist spots in West Bengal.
If you want to go for an adventure-filled getaway, Jaldapara needs to be your one-stop-destination. Furthermore, if you are in search of beauty, Jaldapara National Park surely can fill the soul of the nature-lover in you.
- Best time to visit: October- June
- Distance from Kolkata: 670 km, go by train
- Things to do: Venture for a Jungle safari, experience wildlife in their true habitats, and spot the one-horned Rhino.
9. Kurseong: The land of white orchids
If the mountains are calling, you must go. And, that is what the traveler in me follow all the time. An ideal weekend destination has to be Kurseong when hills are on your mind.
Wrapped by the mountains, this tiny station boasts all about farms and tea plantations with no ends in sight.
Furthermore, the ‘land of white orchids’, is sure to make your heart skip a beat.
- Distance from Kolkata: 592 km, take a train
- Best time to visit: September – June
- Things to do: Bird watching, nature walks, and a ride on the toy train.
10. Samsing: Where mountains meet the plains
Appearing surreal to my sight, the abode of Samsing is endowed with views that took my breath away.
Furthermore, dense forestations, floating clouds, and absolute peace are what describe Samsing.
Deemed as the best spot in West Bengal tourism, Samsing serves to denote the perfect weekend getaway in West Bengal, Kolkata concerning nature lovers.
- Best time to visit: October – June
- Distance from Kolkata: 655 km, travel by train
- Things to do: Picnic near the beautiful sights of Suntaleykhola. Also, trek through the precipitous path to the Tree Fern Point.
The spiritualism of such magnificent tourist spots in West Bengal encompassing the hustling life of Kolkata certainly can get you itching for a weekend trip at the earliest. Check out my top 10 picks mentioned above to experience the best of West Bengal. Head on to any of the places to witness the majestic beauty of Bengal. Furthermore, if you are a Bengali, feel free to share this among your traveler buddies. And, if you have stories to share, make sure to reach out soon!